Sunday, July 6, 2014

Craft | Fish Handprint Craft for Daddy


My husband loves to fish.
In fact he has a shirt that says,
"You don't fish? I see no point in talking to you."

So when I came across this idea for Father's Day on Pinterest, I had to take a crack at it myself!

Although, as cute as hers was . . . I think mine is cuter.
But I'm a little partial to the hands that made it.

I honestly was going to use a square canvas when I started thinking about making this.
But something just didn't sit right with me.
Handprint craft for me?  Sure, canvas would work!
But that's not really my husband's kind of thing.

So, I took a trip down the "wood-crafting" isle at Hobby Lobby and as soon as I saw it, I knew it would be perfect!  It cost about $12 for the size I chose (I used my 40% email coupon on it!).  You can also buy these on Amazon.  Which I did, for another project.  However, I prefer going to Hobby Lobby for it because you can choose exactly the size and shape you desire.

I also decided to use acrylic paints.  I'm most fond of those.
My 4-year-old helped me paint the blue.
I added the sun.
Then I painted their hands orange and ever so carefully laid them down!


Once we made it through that part . . . the rest of the details were on me!

I painted the bobber first, then used a thin paint marker for the fishing line and hook, their names and ages, and to dot the year into the sun.
Then I added eyes with a fat paint marker.
I also had my older son try putting finger-print lips on the fish, before I let the younger do it!


Lastly, I had the younger son do his fingerprint lips and I stenciled "Hooked On Daddy".
(I had bought a stencil from Hobby Lobby as well.)
I tried a few techniques on a scrap piece of paper first.
I found that using my sponge brush and black (acrylic) paint, I could lay the stencil down and just dab it.  But I could only do one letter at a time, and just wait until it dried before I did the next.
It took awhile, but it wasn't too bad.
The results are worth it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment