Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cook | Easy Mexican Rice

I discovered this recipe a few years ago.  
Ever since then, I don't buy the "Spanish" or "Mexican" box mixes anymore.
In fact, I don't even use Instant Rice anymore either.
It just tastes too mushy to me now.
This is good with white or brown long-cooking rice!
Brown rice just takes a little longer.

I got an enameled cast-iron dutch oven for Christmas several years ago from my mother-in-law.  
And I had no idea what I would cook in it.
My mom had never used one of these.
So I began looking up recipes for dutch ovens.
I tried a few, some with success and some that I'd rather not relive.
Then I discovered that it was not some ancient piece of cookware that needed special recipes.
Since that realization, I've used it a lot more.
For many different recipes.
One of my favorites to make in it is this Easy Mexican Rice!
(And chicken and noodles!)


Easy Mexican Rice

1 1/2 C Long-Cooking Rice - white or brown

1 C Salsa
       (I prefer the chunkier style!)

2 C Chicken Broth

**You can also add a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), if desired, at the end of cooking**



Directions:
1)  Combine all the ingredients in the dutch oven. 
         (I have also sauteed half an onion in a little oil prior to adding rice, then sauteed the rice a little, and then added in the other ingredients. I'm not sure it made much of a difference to me though.)


2)  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.


3)  Reduce heat to low and cover.  Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4)  At the end, you may want to add a little more chicken broth if it becomes too dry.  You can also stir in a can of black beans (drained and rinsed!) if desired.


I love to serve this alongside tacos, enchiladas, or even fish with mango salsa! YUMMY!


Fish with Mango Salsa:




No comments:

Post a Comment