Sunday, March 2, 2014

Craft | The Tractor Valentine's Box


My oldest is in his first year of preschool, which means that I am finally getting my chance at a perspective from the parent's side.  For the last 9 years, I've only been able to truly understand my side, as the teacher. 
It's definitely been fun.  Of course, I like school. 
I know that not every parent feels the same!
When Valentine's Day was approaching, Pinterest was my go-to!
What kind of Valentine's would we create for him to pass out?
What kind of collection box would we make?
What would we do for the party treat?
What would we make the teachers?
We started off with the most involved task.... the collection box.
I strolled through various pictures on Pinterest with my son and being the tractor-loving child he is, he decided that he wanted to make a JD tractor ... just like his daddy's!

So I found an old shoebox for the base, and I had just gotten a little box in the mail that I thought would be perfect for the cab!
We used an empty toilet paper roll for the exhaust.
First, I taped them all together with duct tape and cut a flap for where the Valentines would go.
Then I covered it with white/copier paper.





All the while... the baby was destroying a BB&B flyer.


Finally came the fun for my preschooler...I let him paint away!
We started off with just green tempera paint, but it was pretty thin, so I mixed in some green acrylic to help cover it a little better.



It was a big job, and he asked for me to help him, but we got it done!
Later on, we put a second coat on, in order to cover it really well.


Even my hubby got involved and helped add the details and wheels
(because apparently, I didn't have the right colors when I started).

All done!
We took front, back, and side pictures and glued them on - with the runner-style, craft glue tape - so that it looked like he was driving the tractor:



It was a big hit!

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment